Thursday, April 5, 2012

It Does Get Better (And Better)


The five retreat days we just took part in definitely belong in the top tier of my life experiences as far as inspiration, hope, sweat, support, love, and wonderfulness go.

Michael and I spent about fifteen minutes of the five days outside.  Literally.  We ate, slept, and practiced qigong in one building, and our time was very filled up from 7 a.m. until after 9 p.m.  But even though we were busy inside, I could hear the frogs croaking outside our windows.  By their sound, I would guess that there must have been at least 1,495,268 of them out there.

I am not exaggerating when I say this experience was life-changing (but I think that I was exaggerating a little when I mentioned the frog count).  The last two months, since the MCL diagnosis and since Dad died, have sort of been like walking around outside at night while wearing sunglasses.  Even when my heart was open and I felt powerful depths of peace and love, The Shadow was usually lurking.  Once we started the retreat, I don't know where that shadow went, but it seems to be gone.  Maybe it never existed except in my imagination.  I don't go to impending gloom and grief lately because I see a bigger picture.  The sunglasses are removed, the sun is shining.  Right now, everything is alive.

No matter what happens - if Michael does or doesn't do chemo - he (we) are empowered to do much healing on all levels.

We are not our diagnoses.

(And the pain I get from the scoliosis in my back may have left with The Shadow.  After the second day of the retreat, I quit feeling it, even though I was doing the very things that usually cause it to yell louder than a mad, little kid.)

The two photos I took in California - taken with my cell phone and doctored with technology:


Were the frogs hiding in these beautiful flowers?





Oh, yeah.  Oranges come from trees, not from grocery stores. 



10 comments:

darkfoam said...

Your photos are beautiful.
I'm so glad this was such a life affirming and positive experience for the both of you. I had never heard of this. I'm glad I have.

Carol said...

Thanks, Foam!

I will probably write more about this as time goes on. It's pretty impressive.

Mary Greenwood said...

Carol, This is absolutely lovely! I wish I could do what you did! Alas, no money as always, but I could sure use a little help with my scoliosis. Anyway, your words are so beautiful. I wonder if you have ever published anything... you could.
I am so pleased that you and Michael are on this amazing journey, seemingly more connected than ever. How I envy that. You are blessed to have one another. Good cheer and many blessings to you both! With Love, Mary

Carol said...

Mary, if you ever want to come over and qigong with me, you are more than welcome.

As for the publishing... You are so kind. No one has been knocking my door down asking for me to write for them and, so far, I haven't come up with a great idea for something to submit for publishing. Maybe someday???

Amy Branham said...

This sounds like a wonderful experience in spite of or maybe because of the work. We might even be able to overlook the exagerration about the frogs... Maybe.

Big hugs.

Carol said...

Amy, I think it was "because of". Not only did the work help a lot of things, but it felt so good after I was done!

And you know... no one can prove whether I was exaggerating about the number of frogs or not! ;-)

Hugs back to you!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear it was a positive experience. I know sometimes it's like trying to keep your balance on a ship during rough seas.

Carol said...

Thomas,

Yes, this is a lot like trying to keep balance in rough seas - same with some of the qigong exercises! :-)

LisaS said...

I so look forward to reading your posts. Not just because it keeps me in touch with you, Michael and "it", but also because you are such a great writer. I can easily envision what you're writing about and it brings emotion with it. Thank you for continuing to share this journey with all of us.

Love to you and Michael.

Lisa

Carol said...

And thank you for reading my attempts to document this life.

Love back to you, Lisa!