Monday, April 16, 2012

If This Isn't Nice...

I hope that people reading this blog don't assume that just because Michael hasn't embarked on chemo and is working with "alternative" healing methods, that I (we) are against chemo for those who wish to utilize it for their healing from cancer.  I am continuously reading lymphoma support forums where it appears that everyone on the list is undergoing chemo.  A friend of a friend has undergone chemo and a stem cell transplant for mantle cell, and he is now fine and back at work.  Another friend did about a year of chemo and radiation, and his recent 6-month PET scan was clear.  I can't speak for Michael, but I know that I have no need to be right about how to best deal with this type of cancer.  It is a great mystery to me.  Every person has his/her own journey in this life and his/her own priorities, and since I try to stay aware enough to allow my own journey to unfold, I don't have the time to try to figure out the path of others.

It is all good.

And I'm  trying to avoid being a "newly-born again qigong-ist", continually spouting off how amazing qigong is, even though our practice is continuing to be a challenging, fun, wonderful, healing experience for me.  Just a few words here, then I'll shut up about it for the rest of the day.



Michael in the qi field


Today, while doing an exercise, I raised my arms up at a 45-degree angle, and for the first time since my shoulder surgery in 2008, my joint didn't do its usual deep and disconcerting "CLUNK".  Will it clunk again tomorrow?  What does shoulder clunking (or lack thereof) have to do with cancer? 

I don't know.

But this practice is doing more than healing a shoulder and, hopefully, healing a cancer diagnosis.  It is a physical, spiritual, mental practice that Michael and I do together for at least two hours a day.  That is a blessed gift.  No matter where this cancer diagnosis takes us, we have these beautiful moments of growth and connection with each other right now.

As Kurt Vonnegut's uncle often declared, "If this isn't nice, I don't know what is!"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not one of those people who believe "everything happens for a reason," but I do believe it's possible to turn a negative into a positive. If lymphoma has woken you up to appreciate what is truly important in life, and to make the most of the time you have left (hopefully a long time), then it has served a purpose.

Carol said...

Yep, Thomas, I think it is all what we make of it. I'm grateful that we've used lymphoma to awaken to more love. (And to learn to work with the fears that show up.)

darkfoam said...

That's such a nice photo of Michael! May love continue to be your guiding light.

Carol said...

Isn't he a sweetie??? Thank you, Foam!