Saturday, October 6, 2012

There Was Love, And I Passed Him Up


Oh, I'm in love.

And I can't do a thing about it.

My Love is at the animal shelter a few miles from our house.

Michael is at his qigong retreat many miles from our house.

The two have not met.

My preferences are: a big, black, male dog.

This dog I fell for is: a HUGE, white, male dog.

One out of three isn't bad, is it?

I got an emailed okay from Michael, saying that he trusted me on making a decision regarding a different dog whose information I had sent him. But that dog did not fall in love with me or allow me to fall for her. (She, being a "she", met two out of my three criteria, but she flunked the personality test, which should be added to the list of preferences above.)

I guess I could have used Michael's email as my ticket to get WHATEVER dog I fell in love with because, after all, Michael said that he trusts me, right?

But trust is earned, and I might lose that if I came home with a HUGE, white Love who sheds almost as much as me.

While I was on retreat, I had kinda sorta thought that getting a dog might not be the wisest decision. It's hard to travel, one more thing to deal with. Blah blah blah.

Then I came home to less-than-fun-times, and I realized that we need all of the joy and love we can hoard. Life is too short to wait and yippeee later. For me, a dog is like a baby. They both open up my gut and heart and turn me into a kid again. If there is still a kid inside this old body, it needs to come out and play!

I know there are other dogs that I can love just as much as my beloved Leo (yes, that's what they say his name is right now, subject to Michael and I finding him the most perfect name WHEN he comes to live with us). Our new awesome dog doesn't have to be Leo.

But, I really, really love him lots.

Sigh...

8 comments:

otowi said...

Ooh, keep us updated - and with pictures! :)

Carol said...

Diana, I was able to contact Michael and he said he was alright with me nabbing Leo. I drove back to the animal shelter, only to find that Leo now has a "hold" on him. WHY DIDN'T I PUT A HOLD ON HIM WHEN I FIRST VISITED HIM??? Anyway, Leo is waiting to see if he and the German Shepherd at his potential new home get along. I put a second hold on him. If he is supposed to be a member of our family, it will happen. At least now I know that there ARE awesome, big dogs out there. I was starting to wonder! No matter who comes to live here, photos are guaranteed. ;-)

Anonymous said...

What! No pictures? sniff. And he has a hold on him? double sniff ...
I have a white fluffy dog, 20 lbs. not the type of dog i intended to get 11 years ago from the animal shelter. but there you go. she's laying beside me on the couch and shedding profusely .. :)

I hope whichever dog comes your way will be perfect for you and Michael.


foam

Carol said...

Foam, here's a photo. http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/24305911 It might not be up for long. Either THOSE OTHER PEOPLE or I will bring him home, and the photo will be taken down.

It doesn't show his hugeness.

I was concerned about the hair all over the place, but if you can live with "shedding profusely", so can I!

darkfoam said...

Beautiiful dog and at 70 lbs over 3 x the weight of my dog .. That's a lot of hair. But it's all vacuumable, huh? My other shedder is currently purring on my lap.
Foam

Anonymous said...

Just caught up with this post. Leo has very gentle eyes I think - some dogs have unsettled eyes which I am always wary of. It seems he will have a good home (whatever happens).

I think that this dog (whichever one you end up with) turning you into a kid is a very wise move.

Anonymous said...

Just a word about big dogs - something you are bound to have taken into consideration. Kizzy weighs about 35 kilos now and is extremely strong and I don't have the same sort of strength as I used to. I found her pulling on the lead very difficult as she is a powerful dog - we got a halter lead which helped a great deal - now she walks calmly beside me (mostly). You would have laughed to see me out on a short walk with LMD and Kizzy some weeks ago I'd forgotten the halter lead, used the normal one and ended up pretty much in an uncontrollable knot for most of the time.

Carol said...

Dancing, Kizzy is getting big!!!

You did get me laughing at the thought of you being all tied up in Kizzy's lead. Thanks for the words of wisdom!