Sunday, October 7, 2012

Leo Update


It looks like Leo has a new home, and it isn't ours.

I feel happy knowing that the people he now lives with are enjoying that beautiful guy. And Leo has a German Shepherd friend there, which he wouldn't have here.

AND Michael gets home tomorrow. We will have a quiet time of re-connecting.

It all works out.

Fourteen and a half years ago, when we went looking for a 4-legged family member, Buddha was the first dog we visited. But I, being of the picky variety, wanted a black lab, and if Buddha had any retriever in him, it was just a tiny bit. So we passed him up and went to a different shelter where we met a couple of black labs. They were not perfect dogs like Buddha was, and I'm not hard-headed enough to take a not-so-wonderful black lab over the most awesome dog in the world, so we went back and snatched our sweet Buddha.

One of the best decisions we've made together.

Why this process has to be so much longer and harder, I don't know.

Don't tell Michael that I truly considered bringing home a 160- pound Rottweiler sweetheart yesterday. He was on a diet after reaching a high of 180. His neck was at least as big as my thigh (but much more muscular). I just didn't want a six year-old dog. And I also didn't want to be the one living in the doghouse when Michael came home and saw that I had brought home a porker of a dog. Tee hee...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's taking longer and is harder because THE dog is still waiting for you somewhere (just bear in mind eyes and size!)

I love that header photo of the birds - it makes me smile to see them and how much water has been splashed on the big pebbles. (We have some big pebbles in our garden - LMD calles them 'potatoes').

darkfoam said...

ahh, well, perhaps it is as it is supposed to be. you will fall in love with another dog. i do love me a rottie. can't imagine owning one but i think they are cute in a big sort of way. sounds like you'd perhaps have to pull this one around to get it to walk. i do hope it finds a good home.

Carol said...

Dancing, yep, the eyes and size. And the disposition to love all over me and let me love all over him.

You, through LMD, just gave me a whole new way of seeing that photo. Birds and potatoes.

Carol said...

Foam, you must think that I'm stronger than I am if you think that I could pull a 160 pound rottie! ;-) He seemed good-natured enough to move that big body where needed, but if he weren't, I think he'd have to be rolled...

Anonymous said...

It must be so much fun thinking about getting a new dog, and then going to have a look to see if the pooch has the IT factor. In rare moments, I think about getting a dog. I pick up my knitting needles and let it pass. I was around for five dogs. Can't do any more. Good luck. Will keep reading to see how this one ends (or begins a new chapter).

Carol said...

G.G., at this point, it's been too much of a good thing. Giving it a rest for a while. I think it's time to pick up my knitting needles.