First, the kind of bliss that I, in my naiveté, would choose for the world, if I were to run things:
I arrived at One-Of-The-Closest-Places-To-Heaven more than ready for
Silence.
And other than a small amount of book reading that I did and a few profoundly wise and insightful offerings of notes written back and forth between me and a friend, planted and discovered in a secret hiding place down in a gully under a big rabbitbrush, I had no human or verbal contact with the world for five blissful days.
I realize that might drive some people crazy.
It emptied, then nourished my soul.
This is what replaced the views I have at home:
Looking east from my little cabin
The view looking out my western windows
(Are ya jealous yet?)
The view about six feet outside my big southern window.
The first day or so, I watched as birds discovered and drank from the water I had placed in this (what do you call a dish that you put under a potted plant?) bird-watering dish. The dish held a gallon of water (one whole milk jug that I found under the sink). What a perfect place for birds to drink in this parched desert! For hours and hours, I sat and watched all kinds and colors of feathered creatures delicately sipping.
After a day or two, a mountain bluebird walked into the water and waded around a bit.
Mountain bluebird
Then, he just went into fits of birdbathing joy.
Splish splash, I was takin' a bath
It had never entered my mind that this was not only a place for drink, but also a place to bathe! (Drinking and bathing and shitting in one place... oooooh, yum!) Obviously, I have not been around many birdbaths in my life.I am not exaggerating when I say that watching the bird show outside my window for days was one of the most healing experiences I can remember having.
Deer also came to visit the bowl a couple of nights, and they drank it dry. One morning, I got to see two males imbibing. I was THIS close, but behind glass, so they didn't know I was there. I saw how their noses move when they drink.
When all one has to do is to sit and watch, or sit and ponder, or take a walk and ahhhhh at the beauty and spaciousness, a clearer, more open perspective to life takes over. Spacious and accepting.
After staying up late the last night of the retreat, due to cleaning my cabin and having fun reconnecting with the other retreatants, I drove home through rain, hail, snow, and incredible yellow aspen views. I was very much looking forward to slowly entering the world that everyone here had continued to inhabit.
But my experience of coming back was more that of a c-section birth - Bam! From womb to bright lights - than a natural transition.
I won't give you all the gory details, but I'll just say that my family took the opportunity of my absence to have much more drama than I would have preferred (but who asked me?).
And Michael and I ended up in the ER about seven hours after my arrival. Fortunately, the hospital didn't keep him overnight. Unfortunately, they did entertain us until 2:00 a.m. I have to say, if I need to be partying until all hours of the morning in a place with mostly cold, institutional decor, I am happy that the people I'm partying with are my sweet hubby and the kind and wonderful people at our nearby hospital.
We still don't know the source of Michael's excruciating gut pains, but it's not his liver or his gallbladder. Pain meds, anti-nausea meds, and stuff to coat his digestive system helped. Is this a cancer thing? Is this irritation from all of the weird things he takes?
Cancer (and other diseases, I'm sure) changes the game. Every physical issue that comes along brings up wonders and worries about its cause.
This morning, I opened a book that I had ordered before my retreat and which arrived while I was gone. From the preface I read:
This book is about liberation. That doesn't mean the end of earthquakes, wars, bankruptcies, unemployment and cancer, and it doesn't mean a life without heartbreak, depression, anxiety or addiction. It's about recognizing that this is the Holy Reality, and that the Holy Reality is not somewhere else.Amen.
(Quote from Nothing to Grasp by Joan Tollifson.)





14 comments:
Nothing like going from one extreme to the other. I hope your time away, though, was as cathartic as it has been in the past.
My continued best wishes to you and Michael.
Hugz to you both ...
L
Thanks, Lisa. This retreat was absolutely, stunningly amazing.
Hugs back. I hope you are enjoying all of the new thins in your life!
I've been away for a few days so just catching up myself. Special hug for Michael (and you!).
The birds made me smile. A few weeks ago I asked LMD to help fill the birdbath in the garden, which we did and then he looked to the sky waiting for the birds to come and bathe, saying 'Cub ob Birds!'
Dancing, thanks for the sweet LMD story! I love the innocence and spontaneity in saying such things out loud. (I have to act like a grown-up and hold my words in.) ;-)
Carol: Oh my! Not the welcome-back one would hope for. I hope this finds you and Michael well. I enjoyed the pic of the blubird splish-splashing.
I love that picture with the white-crowned sparrow and the Pine Siskins around the bird bath - they all seem so social. :)
G.G., I didn't realize the unconscious hopes I had for a smooth return until I landed in chaos. :-( I love the splish-splashing, too. The first time it happened, I just laughed out loud.
Diana, I thought of you several times as I watched the birds. I had found a bird book in the library at the retreat center, so I had fun identifying some of the birds while I sat and watched their show.
I can't see a bluebird without thinking of Walt Disney. :)
I'm sorry to hear about Michael's pains. I hope it was a one-and-done. You two and your families are in my thoughts!
What wonderful views, carol. It truly sounds like a peaceful soul renewing getaway. I'm really sorry to hear about Michael's pains.
I hope the issue has resolved itself. Truly wishing you and Michael the best.
Thomas, do you mean of the zip-a-dee-doo-dah variety?
Thank you for your kind thoughts.
Diana, can you tell that I LOVE IT IN CRESTONE??? Every time I am there, I fantasize about living there. If Michael proposed we move to Crestone, I would be on my way in a second. Too bad it's so far away from all of his healthcare practitioners...
It appears that whatever was going on in Michael's gut has either gone away or quieted down. Thanks for your good wishes. We really do have the best ('though sometimes it just doesn't feel that way).
Ya know, a few weeks ago I ended up in the ER due to such intense gut pain, I almost fainted. The issue resolved itself. Apparently I can't handle taking one melatonin a night for a few days without it messing up my tummy. Go figure, you think that would be benign, right?
Very interesting, Ms. Foam. Michael has gone in and out of taking melatonin recently. I don't know if he was taking it at the time or not. I will have to ask.
I thought that it was a pretty harmless thing to take, which I think is true most of the time, but I did just now read that "abdominal discomfort" is a possible, but uncommon, side effect. Sorry to hear that your reaction was so intense. Nothing like horrible gut pain to make you realize how good feeling good can feel!
xo
Post a Comment