Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Rarities

Not-Real-Fun Facts:  "They" say that Mantle Cell Lymphoma is one of the rarest non-Hodgkins lymphomas, making up 6 per cent of all non-Hodgkins lymphomas.  I read that there are only about 15,000 MCL patients in the U.S.

People in the U.S. with MCL make up about .005% of the population.

Yes, Michael has always been a rare breed.  (And I mean that in the best of ways.)

Mantle Cell Lymphoma is on the government's Office of Rare Diseases list.  This list also includes many challenging diseases with unpronounceable names, as well as Michelin tire baby syndrome.   (I have never heard of this as a certifiable disease, but everyone used to call our next-door-neighbor's chubby little one a "Michelin tire kid".  Guess I should look up names before I go calling people diseases...)

***

Last weekend, the Denver Chalk Art Festival took place on a few downtown streets.  On Sunday, we drove into town and found ourselves a parking spot, then allowed the crowds to swallow us up.  I think that more than .005% of the population of the U.S. was there!

It had rained on Saturday, washing away the artists' work, so people were at it again on Sunday, re-creating their beautiful works.  I love the stunning in-your-face reminder of impermanence that chalk art and sand mandalas allow.


















The Rare Breed himself.
 Objects in this photo are all impermanent, too.  Just made with the intention of lasting longer than chalk art.





8 comments:

Thomas said...

Here's the soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZbGVHk3tBA

Carol said...

Ahhh... I missed an opportunity to incorporate a song. Thanks for the share! This song is in all-time my top 40.

Anonymous said...

Ah Carol .... sorry not to have posted but have been busy with a certain wedding. We saw the Chalk Art when we visited you a couple of years ago. Hugs to you and Michael xxxx

Anonymously Dancing on that Blade of Grass

Anonymous said...

You have an all time top 40? Why don't I think of these things! As for your last line about the Rare Breed . . . may it be so.

Carol said...

Dear ADotBoG,

I didn't remember that you had seen the chalk art! Good stuff, huh?

I completely understand the big wedding involvement. I thought I had commented about how beautiful the cranes are, but I never saw the post. So, I'll say it again... BEAUTIFUL! Now, I'll go see if I can sneak a peak at the wedding. Congratulations, Mother of the Bride!!!

Carol said...

Well, G.G., I've never actually created a list on paper. But I have a somewhat-list in my mind.

Yes, may it be so!

Lisa S said...

You never cease to amaze me with your stunning writing ability. You invariably allow images to softly assemble in my mind and carry me outside the page. Your photos are wonderful images, too.

Thank you so much for continuing to share the journey through this blog.

Much love!

Carol said...

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog and for your kind words, Lisa.

Much love back to you!