Saturday, August 18, 2012
MCL Painting #3
It's been five months since I've done an MCL painting. This one is titled Pure Joy and it was inspired by my friend's question of, "When was the last time you did something for the pure joy of it?"
(This painting stuff is therapy for me, and I don't bother with the rules of shading, blending, and perspective - I just have fun.)
It's hard to tell by looking at this photo, but in addition to painting things I can easily like (including two little people on their way up the mountain), I glued on things I consider trash: a cigarette butt I found out by the street in front of our house, part of a paper bag, some black plastic, some messy tissue, and a Starbuck's logo from one of their plastic cups.
In walking along the South Platte River in Denver on early mornings, my friend and I listen to the sound of the moving water and the sun-welcoming birds. We see runners silhouetted against orange and yellow skies, and we see the homeless in their sleeping bags, slumbering only a few yards from comfy beds in three-quarter-million-dollar condos. We pass perfectly green lawns and parks, and it's not long before we notice piles of beer cans next to our path. Yesterday morning, I saw what looked like the remnants of the previous night's fast food dinner party strewn across a large set of cement stair steps leading down to the river. (Did they hate to eat and run, but...?) Crows and pigeons were having a heyday.
I don't pick up the trash. I am part of the scene of river/lawn/trash/people/path.
And I can't heal the MCL. I am part of this scene of health/cancer/love/fear/joy.
Labels:
MCL Painting
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
You NAILEd the yellow ducky. That's fabulous!
G.G., I can sing the entire Rubber Ducky song from Sesame Street. Yellow ducky in my blood. ;-)
Can't type... Yellow ducky IS in my blood. Sheesh...
Such exuberant colours - will look out for ducks with sunglasses. I love the bobbing hearts and the placing of the Starbucks goddess.
Ah . just Googled Starbucks logo and found out that
"She stands unbound, sharing our stories, inviting all of us in to explore, to find something new and to connect with each other. And as always, she is urging all of us forward to the next thing."
Seems like she has to be in your picture!
Wonderful painting. Who cares about correct shading and perspective, it has a lovely gentle surreal quality.
I'm sure living with mcl is beyond surreal.
I didn't know the message behind the Starbuck's logo. Thanks for letting me know. I like the "unbound" and "inviting us all to explore" parts especially. :-)
Thanks, Foam. Yeah, who cares??? :-) And, yes, this IS beyond surreal.
I love the painting! Perspective is overrated- Frida Kahlo never bothered with it. :)
Thanks, Thomas. Maybe everyone will appreciate my work after I'm gone, too. ;-)
Post a Comment