Well, I couldn't get any of the I'm a Believer lyrics to fit what I want to say,
but I'm stickin' by the title because yesterday's visit to a new oncologist
made me a believer in second opinions.
Where the first oncologist that we saw in February had an office that was beautiful and
homey, its parking lot vast and free, this new oncologist who asked to be
called Jeff has a sterile office downtown in Hecticville where parking is
survival of the fittest.
Where the first oncologist was a pretty good listener and didn't shout Michael
out of his office when he heard that Michael is going to do this his own way,
Jeff was an excellent listener who also didn't go into convulsions when
he heard about Michael's current course of treatment. Not only did he
listen well, he asked good questions about Michael's life - to get to know him
as a person.
Where the first oncologist recommended R-CHOP - acting like treatment would
be no big deal -and wasn't open to conversation about an adjunct treatment our
friend underwent, due to a recommendation from a well-known doctor at Stanford,
Jeff gave good reason to do Hyper CVAD, followed by a stem cell
transplant.
Heavy-duty stuff, this treatment plan.
But Jeff is willing to stay with Watch and Wait for now, since Michael is doing so well. This means that Michael will be seen every two months, in order to monitor things.
Even though there are issues of distance, parking and lack of beautiful feng
shui, Jeff wins in my book. But I might not have known how good he
was if we hadn't met with the first doc and if we hadn't had these last six
months to learn more and more about MCL and its treatments. (Jeff also comes with a bit better credentials for dealing with MCL, in my humble opinion.)
I'm intentionally not linking to sites that tell of the ingredients in the
treatment plans above. Today I started reading more about Hyper CVAD, and
after a few minutes, I decided that if it (or R-CHOP) was a course of action I
was planning on taking, I would have to put away my computer and just dive in
to the treatment, completely enveloped in trust in the doctors and All-That-Is-Bigger-Than-Me.
Last night, I told Michael what an honor it is to be traveling this road
with him. Easy for me to say, I know. I am not the one who at this
time has the diagnosis, the current regimens governing my life, and the view of
potential treatments lurking up ahead. I get to have my own challenges.
And those challenges are pushing me to change and open my heart more and more. It's very
uncomfortable. But it's kind of awe-inspiring, too.
I'm in love, oooooh, I'm a believer!
Yeah yeah yeah yeah
6 comments:
I really admire you, Carol. I really do.
Thank you, G.G. I'm just doing what's in front of me, and trying to do it with at least half as much grace as you have shown in raising GN.
I'm glad you found a doctor that's a better fit. I hope the new plan keeps everyone happy and healthy for years to come!
Thanks, Thomas!
Carol --- when I see you and Michael on this road together I can sing "I thought love was only true in fairy tales" - so your blog title is spot on, girl. :-)
Thinking of you both and keeping you in prayers.
Ahhhhh, Liz, the real thing is so much better than the fairy tales, isn't it? :-)
Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. I can feel them!
Post a Comment