Tuesday, February 14, 2012

It's Okay to Feel Happiness


Michael had his PET scan today. I guess the hardest part was having to keep his arms above his head for 25 minutes. The guy needs a shoulder massage now.

We had an appointment with the oncologist immediately afterward. He was going to go over the preliminary results with us. We got to the office and the FRIGGIN LIGHTS WERE OUT! Door locked. There are a lot of windows in the door and around them. Very obvious that no one was home. It was one of those experiences where you go, "What the heck?" and you try to open the door, even though you know your actions are futile.

As we were checking for phone messages to try to figure out what was going on, a woman walked up to the office door. She was an angel. Her partner has had cancer since 2007, so this woman has known Dr. Witta for a long time - and she had the doctor's cell phone number!!! Soon, we were sitting with Dr. Witta in his office, looking at a DVD of Michael's scan. From what the doctor can tell (this is not official - it has to be read by a professional PET scan reader), the cancer has not spread past the areas that were already seen on the CT scan.

Is it okay to be happy? The old voice says not to dare to be happy. This is only preliminary. We are in for a long ride of all kinds of experiences. If you get happy, you will be set up for a fall.

Hell yes! I am happy! And it feels really, really good.



Still Life with Glare (artwork in the lobby of the medical office building - taken with my cellphone)


It's all love.



7 comments:

Basheera said...

Glad it all worked out, but am curious about where the doctor was. Were you in the wrong place? Did he forget? What happened?

Carol said...

I don't know where he was! As we were leaving, he said that his people were all excited to leave because of Valentine's Day (huh?), so he told them they could go. Nobody thought about the appointment schedule??? I really don't think he's a flake, though. Things happen - and this one happened for the best. We didn't have to pay the $50 office co-pay fee and we got some good time with the dr. :-)

darkfoam said...

Ohhh, I dod not know mr carol had cancer. I am so happy the outcome made you happy.

Anonymous said...

Rolling with the flow and keeping a smile on your face are two skills that will serve you well!

I'm happy for the good news, and wish both of you many more happy moments in the times to come!

Carol said...

Thank you, Foam. Me, too!

Thank, you, Thomas. This rolling thing... the sharp corners have to get knocked off in order to roll, and I think that's happening. ;-)

Lisa S said...

I join you in your happiness for the good news Michael and you got from the doctor! Taking each moment and experiencing it for what it is ... I envy that in you two and wish nothing but more happy moments!

Carol said...

Thanks, Lisa. :-)