It was a stunningly beautiful spring day today when we drove to Boulder to visit a couple of doctors. Nothing like 70 degree short-sleeved shirt weather after a long, snowy, bundled up winter to give one hope.
My daughter was born in early March, and I remember the daffodils that were everywhere at the time. My dad died this past Thursday, thirty-three years and one day after my daughter's birth. And today, I again admired the daffodils while we traveled to Boulder.
Today we were to meet with an oncologist who doesn't offer chemo herself and a naturopath who has studied naturopathic oncology. Michael had brought along a ten-page report of all that he is doing to get healthy (Kidding! It was only two full pages, singled spaced.) (If you have Mantle Cell Lymphoma or know someone who does, you can request a copy of this magnificent list in the comment area below.) Basically, Michael is a rock star - way ahead of the game in doing all the right things that help one to be optimally healthy. The two doctors had nothing bad to say about anything in Michael's current regimen, but just when we thought there could not possibly be more supplements for a human body, they came up with a few more to add to the pile.
One thing that Michael has read and these doctors have confirmed: People with cancer need to exercise at least 30 minutes EVERY day. Sounds like a good rule for anyone to live by.
I do have to be honest and say that the oncologist told us that chemo for lymphoma has come a long way, and she felt Michael would benefit from it. Because of his excellent health and the things he's doing to build up his immune system, should Michael decide to undergo chemotherapy, he will most likely have less ill side effects than the average person.
I appreciated hearing the doctor's opinion on this, considering the fact that she has nothing to gain if Michael goes the chemo route.
And I was really impressed with the fact that these doctors not only help people before chemo, people foregoing chemo, and those undergoing chemo, but they also help post-chemo patients regain their health and then stay healthy. I have never heard of anyone caring about a patient after chemo is done, except to require follow-up visits in order to discern whether or not the cancer has returned.
So, for now, we will add these doctors to our arsenal of support.
Oh, how I love the popping up of spring bulbs!

No comments:
Post a Comment