But I do.
Ever since my best friend died shortly after I turned fourteen, and ever since one of the twins I was carrying died before he was born, I have tried to figure out death. This brain has a hard time with the concept.
When I was younger, death always came to take away old people - my great-grandparents, great-aunts and great-uncles. I could justify that. Old people wear out and die. Makes sense. (Of course, at the time, I never thought I would ever be one of the old people.) In our family, we didn't do grief, so after the obligatory funeral, we went on with life as usual.
I didn't even grieve the death of my best friend. It wasn't because I was some kind of young, but advanced, person who saw death from a deeply spiritual perspective - it was because I didn't know how to feel the immense feelings that normally come crashing in when someone so close is suddenly gone for good.
With all of the deaths that have occurred around me, I don't think that I truly felt the heart-breaking loss of someone I loved until the best-dog-in-the-world, Buddha, died last year. The deep ache was intense and immediate. It knocked me to my knees. I always said that the Buddha dog was my teacher. His teachings continued with his death.
Oh. I haven't cried about him in so long, but writing about it now, the floodgates have opened.
If I'm not interrupted by Someone wanting me to watch a puppy training video or the constant interruption of Dharma puppy wanting to play and eat my hands, I'm interrupted by uncontrollable, tearful outbreaks.
Okay. Back to the subject at hand.
Unless a person has already died in some respects, a cancer diagnosis will probably bring up death issues and plaster them all over the walls so that they can't be ignored.
And is it me, or have you noticed that people are dying all the time? A day doesn't go by where I am not aware of strangers in other countries dying, thanks to our drones; other strangers dying from the effects of Hurricane Sandy; people I know dying of disease; friends of people I know dying of all kinds of things. We're dropping like flies, I tell ya.
It's one of the most common events to take place here, and I still don't understand it. I really don't think that death was created in a way where brains could understand it, other than to know that life is born and later dies. The end.
Sometimes, I feel completely at peace with the "D" word - it's a normal and natural phenomenon. The unknown, which I am curious to explore when the time arrives. As Ram Dass' friend said about death, "Tell them that it's absolutely safe!"
Still, I don't even know for sure that anything really dies. The body morphs. Does the identification of "I", "me" go anywhere? If so, how? If you have an opinion about that, I would love to hear it.
It's all amazing. A mystery.
The other night at about 1:00 a.m., Michael and I put blankets on the grass and some of those rice-filled, microwaveable shoulder warmers inside our coats, then we stretched out in the dark and cold to watch a meteor shower, which we never saw because it was hidden in the glow of the city lights. The sky was HUGE beyond imagination above us and, I assume, below us and all around us. The stars, so far away, were messengers from the vastness of the universe and beyond, reminding us how small we are, yet how much a part of it all we are, also.
Noticing the perfection of the universe, I realized that all that occurs here on this little planet (including our death and the deaths of people we love) must also be perfect. How can this little part be any different than the whole?
Latest Dharma teaching: Run like a wild woman (or man) and let no obstacles get in your way (crawl under them, if you have to). And after you have exhausted yourself with complete and utter recklessness, willingly succumb to a big, delicious, snoreful nap. No thoughts of the future or dying; no stories about being abandoned at an early age. Only this, right now.
Dharma demonstrating delicious, snoreful nap - to be done on a human's lap, of course

13 comments:
Carol,
I do check in on you and your writings over the years and subscribe to this blog. You face head on the human feelings and emotions and share this with us. This makes my journey richer. My son broke his back two months ago and is learning to live with paraplegia. This has brought us all into facing head on our feelings and emotions and the work is hard. My thoughts are with you and Michael and Dharma as you continue your journeys.
Judy from Evergreen
Oh, Judy. It's SO good to hear from you! Thank you for checking in on me and for writing me! My heart sank when I read about your son. Yes, the work IS hard. I can't think of anyone who would be a better support in times like your son is going through than you. I remember how nurturing you are. As a mom, I know how hard it is to watch our offspring go through tough times.
Sending you much love and a big, open-hearted hug.
Folks do drop dead all the time. It's really rather annoying. My first awareness of death came when my dad died when I was seven.
Since then they've been dropping like flies. I finally decided that I really don't mind folks being dead. It's the permanence of the situation that I have a problem with. My brothers death devastated me as did the death of the first pet mr foam and I had, our beloved cat Rosco. I decided that pets don't seem to go to heaven. They find a pace to continue to live in your heart.
I'm wishing Michael and you well. I'm glad you have the irresistible force of dharma behind you.. Or should I say chewing on you.
I'm also sending Judy of evergreen all the best as she helps her son. As a mother of sons my heart also sank.
Foam,
Yeah, how does the 9-year-old brain get around the concept of a dad never coming back - or, even as a young adult, the permanent absence of a brother you've known pretty much your whole life? Awwww... You've experienced some of the hardest ones, Foam. Sending a big hug to you.
Thanks for your sweet wishes. Dharma is a force alright! Adorably cute and sweet as she sleeps here on my lap (and makes me type with one hand) and a little terror during many of her waking hours, Someday, I won't remember that last part...
Ah that D word. It seems to have visited my life in batches of 3 or so at a time. Father, Grandmother and Best Friend batch one and then brother-in-law, 2 aunties and a mother-in-law.
Also sending Judy all the best x
Smiled thinking of you and Michael meteor shower watching at night (and at the fact that Dharma has been doing a Buddha trick!)
Dancing, I hope that your "batches of 3" run has ended so that you don't have to get clobbered quite so hard in the future. That first batch was a big one. Not denying the impact of the second batch, though...
Wouldn't it be fun if Dharma becomes Crab Dog #2? :-)
Wish there was a way to acknowledge your reply with a 'Thank You' button!
I always liked the way Arlo talked about death at the start of this video- I know you've seen it before: http://youtu.be/cU1frTC4sTs
I don't have any answers. I just try to roll with flow.
Oh Carol: I knew about the baby, but I did not know he was a twin . . . That 'D' word is a mean-spirited sneaky bloke! I like that you two put blaknets out and looked at the stars. What a wonderful thing to share! Peace. Anonymous GG
G.G., Yep, my wonderful, 31-year-old son was a twin. Both were born 10 weeks prematurely - one alive, one stillborn. 31-year-old son is now a tall, strong young man. And he, too, likes to look at night skies. We have a lot in common.
Ya never know...
Yep! Ya never know. I will think of all of you the next time I get to see the night sky without a cloud cover. GG
It's so amazing to think that you and I can see the same moon and the same Orion! It's all so big. And all so intimate.
It is, indeed. Orion is our winter friend. He peeks in GN's window this time of year as she heads to bed. She still checks on him once in a while. GG
Post a Comment