But not bored.
This is what our lives look like on the outside:
Michael goes to work four days a week. Most of the rest of his time is spent at appointments, giving me a break from Dharma, training Dharma, and doing meditation and qigong.
I go to exercise class with my mom twice a week. Other than that, if I'm not sitting for hours with Dharma napping on my lap, I'm feeding or training her or taking her out to poop and pee.
It's eighteen days till Christmas, but you wouldn't know it around here. No halls are decked, and all of the apparel appears to be attracting bits of torn cardboard from Dharma's favorite toy which is a chewed up packing tube. Nope! No gay apparel to be found around here.
But the inside of our lives:
This daring adventure, this living with wonder and courage in the face of a teeth-baring cancer and a teeth-baring dog... What a rich place! It's making me dig deep to see what is underneath the ideas of how life "should be". Because, contrary to opinions that are as abundant as the snows that we USED TO GET in this part of the country, THIS is how life should be. In all of its apparent boringness, craziness, and messiness.
Being humbled by the strong wills of a husband and a dog who both will do things THEIR WAY, I have finally slowed down enough to see just how stunningly beautiful they both are in their knowing of how they need to navigate the unknowable.
Not only do both Michael and Dharma create a life that is anything but boring, they have both also offered me the best Christmas present ever: The gifts of themselves in all of their glory.
Dharma-ism for today:
Humans have classes for learning Spanish, English, German, etc., but even in the best dog training classes, there is very little attention given to learning Dog. We canines are TRYING to tell you many things but, just as you need to be observant and ask questions in order to learn another language through immersion, you need to slow down, observe and ask questions to learn Dog. And I guarantee that it's worth it.

11 comments:
There should be an asterisks by dharma's photo with this warning: the appearance of tranquility is an illusion.
However, it does appear that you are on your way towards inner tranquility in your life.
I remember the first year with pup and kitties .. All the ornaments were hung way up high. Oddly enough they did not bother the tree although we did tie it down.
Foam,
Good idea on the warning!
And smart planning on the tying down of the tree, even if you ended up not needing it! We have a couple of floor lamps that need to be tied down.
With puppies and kitties, we really need to child-proof same ways as when we have toddlers, don't we?
Best picture of Dharma yet.
-pg
Thanks, PG!
Isn't that photo just the picture of innocence?! Very sweet. I have to give you credit for taking on another dog. I am rather rebellious to adding 'responsibilities' to my life, but I'm glad you are not. I don't know where I'd fit the dog in with basketball and shoveling snow . . .
Peace, Carol!
GG
G.G., I think that if I had a teen in the house, I wouldn't want or need a dog, either. Dharma is my substitute for a kid. ;-)
You are right - there is a beautiful innocence to Dharma. And it's even there when she is mad at me for asking her to do something. It's just not as apparent then!
The teen is great . . . but she doesn't sit on my lap anymore. Though, she does rest her head on my shoulder which is probably the 'cool' alternative. GG
Awwwww... G.G., I would settle for Dharma to quit sitting on my lap if she would quit peeing in the house. ;-)
I'm glad that GN still likes to have lean on you!
I just wanted to stop by to wish you a Merry Christmas, and let you know I'm still out here pulling for you and praying for you!
Merry Christmas to you and Mona, Thomas! And thanks for your prayers. VERY appreciated.
Post a Comment