Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Wildflowers

Like a field of spring wildflowers,
thoughts and emotions the colors of
scarlet, lapis, sunshine, and restful green
appear throughout my day.

What a strange gift
this last year has been.
Almost a year now since my organ
of digesting-and-letting-go went
berserk and I released a bit of it
to the surgeon's hands.
Last night while doing practice,
with heart wide open, Buddha dog
came to visit
- he's been "gone" nine months now -
and I cried as if, again, I was
kissing his nose for the
last time.  And Sunday,
Mother's Day, my family gathered
for dinner, my brother offering
thanks from the chair my dad
has now vacated.

Every morning,
I juice a pile of vegetables
for my beloved.
Like the words and feelings that wash through me
a hundred times a day,
like the wildflowers on Green Mountain
near my childhood home,
they, too, come in brilliant colors.
All here one moment,
seemingly solid, then in an instant,
zap!
transformed into a vital,
life-giving elixir of the gods.





8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've had a lot on your plate this past year. My goodness! It just struck me, as I read your post, that you and I both lost our fathers and had a loved one receive a cancer diagnosis within the same year. My 'year' was longer ago than yours, however. Thinking of you and Michael. I'm anonymous today. GG

Carol said...

Hard stuff, G.G. I see what a strong woman you are, and I hope that I, too, come out the other side (whatever that looks like) as strong as you.

Anonymous said...

I'd rather be weak and whiny, but it is not very becoming.

darkfoam said...

I don't think Buddha dog is ever that far from you. The one thing I can say about your dad and my mother is that they are at peace.
I do love your prose so. Sometimes, it's the perfect way to express oneself.

Ps: Say, what kind of juicer do you have?

Carol said...

G.G.,

:-)

Carol said...

Foam,

Michael seems to have much more contact with Buddha than I do - Buddha visits him in his dreams. But, yes, Buddha is always closer than my heart.

The juicer I'm using is a Breville Dual Disc Processor. In many ways, I like it a lot. I also have a Champion. The Breville is easier to clean. The downside is that it's not really a juicer for greens, even though we put the greens in along with our beets.

I love thinking about my dad and your mom being at peace. They earned it.

Anonymous said...

Carol,
This piece is just lovely. Brought tears to my eyes.
--Amrita

Carol said...

Thank you, Amrita. I love your tears.